← Iran War Daily

Hormuz Flows Rose, But the War Chokepoint Still Holds (August 20, 2026)

August 20, 2026 · 5m 40s · Listen

The MoU is gone, and the argument over what it actually bought just got very expensive. New to this story? Here’s where things stand. The Hormuz maritime crisis is about more than one strait: U.S. blockade enforcement, Iranian-backed pressure, and Red Sea attacks have all squeezed commercial shipping. Iran previously said it had a safe-route understanding with Oman for ships passing through Hormuz, but also said normal security couldn’t return while U.S. maritime sanctions, military movements, and blockade conditions remained in place. This is Iran War Daily. Today: the barrel count, the human cost, and who gets stuck with the bill now that Washington says talks aren’t even scheduled. This one's from Al Jazeera:

Oil flows through the Strait of Hormuz nearly tripled while the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between the United States and Iran was in effect, though it remained far below pre-war levels, according to ship tracking data. Some 374 million barrels of oil exited the Gulf during the 60-day window covered by the since-expired MoU, equalling about 6.1 million barrels per day, trade intelligence firm Kpler said in a briefing published on Wednesday.

Kpler’s scorecard: 374 million barrels in 60 days, or 6.1 million a day. That’s better than the 2.3 million before the June 17 MoU—still just 40 percent of the roughly 15 million barrels a day Hormuz handled in 2025. And that improvement came early. Kpler says more than half those shipments moved in the agreement’s first three weeks. By the end, analyst Emmanuel Belostrino said flows were thinning and re-accumulating behind the chokepoint. That’s what a temporary corridor looks like when the security problem still isn’t solved. UKMTO has logged five commercial-vessel attacks in the past week, and a crew member died after a cargo ship was hit off Oman Tuesday. More barrels moved, but the route was still dangerous. The MoU expired Monday without a peace deal. Kpler’s figures show what it achieved—and how far normal Gulf traffic still had to go. From Alison Bath at Stars and Stripes:

President Donald Trump said Tuesday that the U.S. was not in talks with Iran, while insisting the Strait of Hormuz was open and clear of sea mines, adding to uncertainty over efforts to end the nearly six-month war. “There are no talks or conversations going on, or scheduled, with the Islamic Republic of Iran,” Trump said in a post on Truth Social. He added that the U.S. blockade of Iranian ports remained in effect.

Trump says Hormuz is “open and clear,” while CENTCOM’s own August 17 tally says U.S. forces redirected 64 ships, disabled three, and boarded two. That’s a blockade with a scoreboard. And the human cost is specific. The U.K. Maritime Trade Operations center says an unknown projectile hit a vessel near Oman, damaged its engine room, and caused a crew casualty. It didn’t identify the attacker or say whether that mariner was killed or injured. Then there’s the diplomatic message: Trump’s August 18 Truth Social post says no talks with Iran are happening or scheduled, while the port blockade stays in force. A map calling the strait “New U.S. Territory” doesn’t make insurers—or ship crews—feel any safer. We just heard what the MoU restored in oil flows. This filing shows what remains: attacks near Oman, redirected ships, and no publicly scheduled U.S.-Iran channel. Mike Hanna, writing in Al Jazeera:

US President Donald Trump has threatened ‘economic D-Day’ on any countries that help or do business with Iran. Al Jazeera’s Mike Hanna explains how the threat, though vague, signals a renewed focus on economic, rather than military, action.

Washington is now threatening countries that trade with Iran, not just Iran itself. Who’s in the crosshairs first? Trump has named the weapon but left the target list foggy. Al Jazeera’s Mike Hanna calls the threat vague, and that matters. Trump’s August 18 post said no Iran talks were scheduled. Two days later, the declared next step is economic pressure with no publicly defined terms. And after the Kpler numbers we just ran—6.1 million barrels a day during the MoU, against roughly 21 million before the war—this pressure hits a market already limping. Brilliant time to make every insurer and cargo buyer guess the rules. The shift is clear: military enforcement is still part of the standoff, but the White House is putting economic pressure front and center. No specifics have been announced on the measure, where it would apply, or when. If today’s briefing was useful, please subscribe or leave a review wherever you’re listening. Reviews help other people find Iran War Daily, and your support helps us keep bringing you clear daily updates.

Links to every story we covered are in the show notes, if you want to dig into anything that caught your attention. Thanks for listening. We’ll be back tomorrow. That’s Iran War Daily for today. This is a Lantern Podcast.