The record everyone feared is now behind us—and the people meant to stop the next wave are walking off the job. Quick catch-up before we dig in. Going into today, the DRC Bundibugyo outbreak was already a fast-moving emergency across six provinces. Insecurity and limited access have constrained detection, tracing, and treatment, alongside gaps in Bundibugyo-specific medical tools. Field reports from Ituri showed community health workers struggling to keep contact tracing ahead of multiplying alerts and exposures. This is Ebola Watch. Today, we’re looking at a historic toll, a strike on the front lines, and whether the money arriving can reach the people who need it. Reuters, with Clement Bonnerot and Jessica Donati:
The ongoing Ebola outbreak is now the second-most lethal on record and the deadliest in the history of Democratic Republic of Congo. Only the epidemic in West Africa in 2014-16 killed more people. The grim milestone was reached on Sunday when government data showed that confirmed deaths topped the toll for Congo’s 2018-2020 Ebola outbreak, previously the worst the country had seen.
We’ve passed the number we’d been watching: 2,325 confirmed deaths, above the 2,299 recorded in Congo’s 2018-to-2020 outbreak. Reuters now calls this the second-most lethal Ebola outbreak on record. And those are confirmed deaths—the cleanest comparison with the prior Congo toll. The latest government data lists 4,945 confirmed cases. Only the 2014-to-2016 West Africa epidemic, with more than 11,000 deaths, remains ahead. So are we looking at a distant historical benchmark, or a trajectory that could still catch West Africa? Too early to make that call responsibly. But Reuters says this outbreak reached 2,000 confirmed cases in roughly two months; the prior Congo outbreak took more than ten. Months of missed Bundibugyo cases—including some diagnosed as peritonitis—gave the virus a very costly head start. David Lawal, writing in African Angle:
Unpaid health workers and growing insecurity are threatening efforts to contain the Ebola outbreak in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, as surveillance teams struggle to keep pace with the spread of the virus. In Nizi, community health worker and head of contact tracing Gédéon Banga Ngbape and his team spend their days moving through communities, investigating alerts and tracking people who may have been exposed to suspected or confirmed Ebola cases.
Nizi is where it gets painfully concrete: contact tracers are handling 60 to 70 alerts a day, and the treatment center shut down because workers haven’t been paid. Every alert is a door someone has to reach—usually before the virus reaches someone else. And those alerts aren’t cases; they’re reports that need investigating. African Angle says the teams have gone more than three months without salaries, with transport already limited. That puts delay right into the contact-tracing chain. We just heard the historic death toll. Now picture the response asking unpaid people to travel through eastern Congo, with too little transport, and process 70 possible exposures before dinner. That leaves a big hole in containment. The strike ended, but the pay crisis continues. A treatment center can reopen its doors; rebuilding trust, staffing, and missed follow-up takes longer. Every one of those gaps lets the outbreak gain ground. Caribbean News Global writes:
World Health Organization (WHO) has received a USD 3 million grant from Wellcome to strengthen the generation and use of community evidence alongside epidemiological, clinical and laboratory data throughout the response to Bundibugyo virus disease (BVD). The investment will help ensure that operational decisions are also informed by evidence on how affected communities experience, understand and respond to the outbreak.
WHO gets $3 million from Wellcome for community evidence while workers in Nizi are unpaid and short on PPE. I understand why listening to communities matters. I also understand why that number feels painfully small. It’s small next to the $254 million gap in WHO’s response plan, but it’s narrowly targeted: rapid assessments of why people may delay care, avoid a treatment center, or struggle to follow guidance. With Bundibugyo virus disease, there are no approved vaccines or treatments to fall back on. So this is meant to turn local reality into outbreak intelligence—how people are finding care, what they believe, and what’s getting in their way. Useful. It still doesn’t put fuel in a tracing team’s vehicle or pay the team. Right—and both problems cost time. Miss community barriers, and you lose trust. Fail to keep health workers on the job, and you can’t act on what you learn. The grant helps with the first. Nizi makes the second urgent. When reports put Ebola cases in the hundreds—or even thousands—what exactly are they counting? And why can an official update look much smaller than a headline total? Start with the label: suspected, probable, and confirmed aren’t interchangeable. Public-health case definitions use clinical symptoms, exposure history, epidemiological links, and laboratory criteria to decide who needs investigation and to distinguish probable from confirmed cases. The World Health Organization says laboratory confirmation matters especially because Ebola can be hard to distinguish clinically from illnesses such as malaria. In reporting from this outbreak, Nature noted that when the DRC and Uganda declared outbreaks on May 15, officials had recorded 246 suspected cases and 80 suspected deaths—not confirmed totals. Four days later, WHO’s representative in the DRC told reporters there were more than 500 suspected cases, including 130 suspected deaths. That shows how a fast-moving investigation can produce sharply different snapshots. A modelling estimate of infections is another category altogether: it may suggest a higher underlying number, but it isn’t the same as an official confirmed-case count. So if a headline combines those categories, or treats a model estimate as an official tally, it can make the outbreak sound more settled than the evidence really is? Exactly. Don’t just ask, “What’s the total?” Ask: “Total of what, as of what date, and under which case definition?” For travelers, the CDC says the overall risk to the American public and travelers remains low, while officials continue investigating cases in remote areas of the DRC and Uganda. If you found today’s Ebola Watch useful, please subscribe and leave us a review wherever you’re listening. Your feedback helps other people find the show.
Links to every story are in the show notes if you’d like to take a closer look. Follow the stories that caught your attention for more context and reporting.
That’s Ebola Watch for today. This is a Lantern Podcast.